Business/technical/financial writer/editor, web and marketing communications specialist. Editor and writer with substantial experience in publishing, marketing communications, public relations and email marketing. Published work ranges from blog posts to newspapers, web sites, magazines and books.
|Freelance Editor/Writer, Marketing Communications and Public Relations Consultant||2000 – Current|
|Successful Media||DeMotte, IN|
Successful Media provides freelance and ghostwriting, blogging, editing, Web content and strategy, public relations, social media and marketing communications consulting services to technology, financial services, NGO and higher education clients.
- Develops and writes articles, Web content, white papers, proposals, press releases and marketing materials
- Manages public relations and social and traditional media relations activities
- Writes content for Web sites, videos, presentations, white papers, email campaigns, blogs, special publications
- Managed content redevelopment for relaunch of a Big 5 consulting firm’s web site
- Develops business and marketing plans
Drafts technical documents including documentation, white papers, patent applications and user FAQs
- Wrote articles for Thomson Reuters news service, an information service for financial services industry and compliance professionals at SEC-regulated companies
|Chief Marketing Officer / Technical Writer||2011 – 2015|
|Wellington Street Consulting, LLC||Waltham, MA|
Wellington Street Consulting specializes in project management focusing on migrations to Office 365, SharePoint, the Lync unified communications suite, and supporting services such as Microsoft Exchange, Windows 7 and 8, Active Directory and ADFS. The company architects and develops sites encompassing all aspects of custom SharePoint applications, from conception through deployment and user training. WSC offers consulting and hands-on technical services on a wide variety of Microsoft products. WSC also provides disaster recovery and systems integration services.
- Draft and edit user and technical documentation
- Ensure consistency of style, grammar and usage across technical documentation
- Develop glossaries and other technical support documentation
- Create proposals, web content and marketing materials for clients and internal use
- Manage sales and marketing program
|Editor||2003 – 2008|
|The Business Press||Riverside, CA|
Weekly business news outlet, which included annual directory and database of local companies and various annual publications and economy-related events.
- Edited weekly business-to-business newspaper and related Web site, annual publications including the Book of Lists, Inland Empire Guide by City and Market Facts Guide
- Managed migration of content management from individual machines to custom, company-wide network
- Managed web redesign, adding online access to publications and databases, blogs, video, audio and partner-provided content
- Managed editorial coverage of public and private companies and developed content for annual events including economic forecasts and awards programs
- Managed staff and freelance reporters, writers, web producers, researchers, page designers, photographers and editorial assistants
- Matrix-managed shared resources in editorial, marketing, graphics, page layout, prepress, printing and web production
- Added blog, video interviews and reports to web product mix
|Assistant Editor||2000 – 2003|
|Mergers & Acquisitions Advisor||Los Angeles, CA|
Publisher of print and online media for investment bankers, financial and other professionals in the deal-making industry.
- Edited monthly print and online newsletters and content for related Web site and conferences.
- Created and managed e-mail newsletter program
- Managed development of industry awards program
- Created marketing, recruited speakers, developed content, public relations efforts, presentations, scripts for investment banking and deal-making industry conferences
|Director of Marketing Communications||1998 – 1999|
|First Data Corp. / Home Account Holdings Inc.||Los Angeles, CA|
First Data Direct Banking created functional Web sites for small and mid-sized banks.
- Managed public relations, advertising, web site, sales collateral, events and internal communications for vendor of Internet-enabled financial services to banks, card issuers, brokerage firms and other Internet-based financial service providers.
- Managed public relations and ad agency relationships, trade show/event operations and developed presentations and speeches.
- Directed creation of external and internal Web sites
- Drove corporate identity project following merger from naming/branding effort through launch of Web site and completion of print and presentation collateral materials
- Managed internal and external and technical communications
- Wrote and ghosted articles for industry publications and booklet for trade group
|Business Editor||1994 – 1998|
|Middlesex News / Community Newspaper Co.||Framingham, MA|
Community Newspaper Corp. published five daily and nearly 100 weekly newspapers and Web site in eastern Massachusetts.
- Ran business news operations and sections including business, real estate, Internet and employment.
- Created internal service for distribution of business-related content to newspaper chain
- Edited business/finance/real estate/employment content for web site
- Managed and expanded Internet news section
- Revamped and expanded business sections of award-winning daily newspaper
|Publisher||1990 – 1992|
|New England Business magazine||Boston, MA|
At its height, New England Business was a 100,000-plus circulation glossy business publication published twice monthly.
- Managed turnaround situation with full P&L responsibility for all operations
- Managed staff of 40 full-time and numerous freelance personnel
- Developed new revenue streams, including special events, merchandising and reprint programs.
- Implemented free-to-paid circulation conversion
|Editor||2000 – 2000|
|Successful Media||DeMotte, IN|
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Small Business Journalist of the Year, U.S. Small Business Administration, Santa Ana District, 2007
- Contest jurist, American Society of Business Press Editors, 1997
- New England Business received two Association of Area Business Publication awards, 1990
- Alaska Press Club, first place, Business Reporting, Magazine Writing
- Alaska Business Monthly received 9 press club awards in its first year of publication
- Association of Area Business Publications, Most Improved Magazine
PROFESSIONAL COMMUNITY INVOLVEMENT
Committed to ongoing internal and external training:
- Director, Treasurer, Financial Writers Society
- Member, American Society of Business Press Editors
- Former Member, La Sierra University Graduate School of Business Advisory Board
- Member of Boston SharePoint Users’ Group
- Attended SPTechCon Education Conference
- Frequent attendee at SharePoint Saturday educational events in MA, NH and RI.
- Regular participant in Microsoft Partner and vendor trainings, events and webinars about:
- Office 365
- Cloud services
- Studied Journalism at Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana
- Studied Journalism and Political Science at Franklin College, Franklin, Indiana